FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS (since hired at UH, July 2019)
- Novel methods to manage invasive yellow crazy ants (PI); Hawaii Invasive Species Council; Jan-Dec 2021; $ 31,548.
- Development of postharvest treatments for a quarantine pest. USDA-ARS; 2020-2021; $ 119,000.
- Improved Detection and Control of Tropical Invasive Insect Pests (PI); USDA-ARS; 2020-2022; $ 140,000.
- Field Evaluation of Above-ground Baits in Eliminating Subterranean Termites (PI); Corteva Agriscience; 2020-2021; $ 20,000.
- Evaluation of a Termite Defense System Against Formosan Subterranean Termites in Hawaii (PI); Polyguard, Inc., Texas; 2019; $ 5,500.
- Linalool: Biosynthesis in Sweet Basil and Applications in Human Health and Pest Control (Co-PI); USDA NIFA Research Capacity Funds; 2020; $ 8,970.
- Managing Insects of Urban and Medical Importance in Hawaii using Integrated Pest Management (PI); Extension Plan of Work, Smith-Lever Fund; 2020-2024; $ 4,000.
- Ecology and Management of Invasive Ants and Termites (PI); USDA NIFA Hatch; 2020-2024.
- Jia-Wei Tay, Dong-Hwan Choe, Ashok Mulchandani and Michael K. Rust. 2020. Hydrogels: From controlled release to a new bait delivery for insect pest management. Journal of Economic Entomology. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa183 (published online on August 27, 2020). [pdf]
- Kelsey McCalla, Jia-Wei Tay, Ashok Mulchandani, Dong-Hwan Choe and Mark Hoddle. 2020. Biodegradable alginate hydrogel bait delivery system effectively controls high-density populations of Argentine ant in commercial citrus. Journal of Pest Science 93: 1031-1042. DOI: 10.1007/S10340-019-01175-9. [pdf]
- Managing drywood termites using heat technology: a case study at a condominium unit in Honolulu, Hawaii. 2020.
- Necrophobic behavior of the Asian subterranean termite (in preparation)
- Jia–Wei Tay, Mark Hoddle, Ashok Mulchandani and Dong-Hwan Choe. 2017. Development of an alginate hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait for pest ant management. Pest Management Science 73: 2028-2038. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.4616 (Pest Management Science‘s cover image, October 2017) [pdf]
- Ching-Chen Lee, Hirotaka Nakao, Shu-Ping Tseng, Hung-Wei Hsu, Gwo-Li Lin, Jia-Wei Tay, Johan Billen, Fuminori Ito, Chow-Yang Lee, Chung-Chi Lin and Chin-Cheng Yang. 2017. Worker reproduction of the invasive yellow crazy ant Anoplolepis gracilipes. Frontiers in Zoology 14:24. DOI 10.1186/s12983-017-0210-4. [pdf]
- Jia–Wei Tay and Chow-Yang Lee. 2015. Induced disturbances cause Monomorium pharaonis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) nest relocation. Journal of Economic Entomology 108: 1237-1242. [pdf]
- Jia–Wei Tay and Chow-Yang Lee. 2015. Effects of a juvenile hormone analogue pyriproxyfen on monogynous and polygynous colonies of the Pharaoh ant Monomorium pharaonis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Tropical Biomedicine 32: 453-462. [pdf]
- Jia–Wei Tay and Chow-Yang Lee. 2014. Influences of pyriproxyfen on fecundity and reproduction of the pharaoh ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 107: 1216-1223. [pdf]
- Jia–Wei Tay, Kok-Boon Neoh, and Chow-Yang Lee. 2014. The roles of the queen, brood and worker castes in the colony growth dynamics of the pharaoh ant,Monomorium pharaonis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Myrmecological News 20: 87-94. [pdf]
- Shao-Xiong Cheah, Jia–Wei Tay, Lai-Kheng Chan, and Zairi Jaal. 2013. Larvicidal, oviposition, and ovicidal effects of Artemisia annua (Asterales: Asteraceae) against Aedes aegypti, Anopheles sinensis, and Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae). Parasitology Research 112: 3275-3282. [pdf]
PUBLICATIONS (EXTENSION AND DISSERTATION)
- Jia-Wei Tay and Dong-Hwan Choe. 2018. Using seaweed to deliver liquid ant baits(UC IPM information for pest management professionals and pesticide applicators).Green Bulletin 8: 1-2. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2018.spring.pdf
- Kelsey Schall, Jia-Wei Tay, Ashok Mulchandani, Dong-Hwan Choe and Mark Hoddle. 2018. Harnessing hydrogels in the battle against invasive ants: Could a hydrogel baiting system solve Argentine ant problems in southern California citrus? Citrograph 9: 30-35. http://citrusresearch.org/uncategorized/citrograph-summer-2018/
- Jia–Wei Tay, Mark Hoddle, Ashok Mulchandani and Dong-Hwan Choe. 2017. The use of an alginate hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait to manage an invasive ant pest in residential settings. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Urban Pests. Birmingham, UK. M.P. Davies, C. Pfeiffer and W.H. Robinson (eds). Pureprint Group, UK, pp. 265-269.
- Jia-Wei Tay. 2014. Sociotomy, caste influences and the effects of juvenile hormone analogue on the colonies of the Pharaoh ant, Monomorium pharaonis (L.)(Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- Jia-Wei Tay. 2009. Necrophobic behavior of the Asian subterranean termite and a mound building termite. Universiti Sains Malaysia.
PROFESSIONAL ROLES (EXTENSION AND SERVICE)
- State of Hawaii Pest Control Board, Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Serve as UH Representative and Voting Member in Board Meetings
- Hawaii Pest Control Association
- Search Committee Member, Mycology position, Department of Plant and Environment Protection Sciences.
- Student Competition Judge, Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting.
- Proctor, Board Certified Entomologist Examination.
- Hawaii Wood Utilization Team, Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife.
- Kaiser High School, Hawaii’s termite project. 2019-present.
- Hawaii Pacific University laboratory termite project. 2019-present.
- Plant and Environmental Protection Sciences booth. Welina Manoa, Campus Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa. 26 August 2019.
- Termite Inspection Training. University of Hawaii at Manoa. 23-24 August 2019.
- Urban Entomology Booth. Riverside Insect Fair. 28 April 2018.
- 2018 UC Riverside Urban Pest Management Conference. 21 March 2018.
- Urban Entomology Booth. Riverside Insect Fair. 29 April 2017.
- Urban Entomology Booth. Riverside Insect Fair. 30 April 2016.
- 2016 UC Riverside Urban Pest Management Conference 2016.
- ENTM 272 Research Seminar in Insect Communication and Behavior. Winter 2016/17.
“The use of biodegradable hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait to control pest ants” (2016). U.S. Patent No. PCT/US2017/053761
“Biodegradable hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait to control pest ants”. U.S. Patent Application No. 16/337, 166.