- Kirsch, J. M. and J. W. Tay. 2022. Larval mortality and ovipositional preference in Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) induced by the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana (Hypocreales: Cordycipitaceae). Journal of Medical Entomology. https://doi.org/10.1093/jme/tjac084.
- Gharbi, K. and J. W. Tay. 2022. Fumigant toxicity of essential oils against Frankliniella occidentalis and F. insularis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) as affected by polymer release and adjuvants. Insects 13(6): 493. https://doi.org/10.3390/insects13060493 [pdf].
- Tay, J. W. 2022. Highlights in Urban Entomology. Journal of Medical Entomology. Submitted.
- Hsu, P.-W., C.-C. Lee, F.-C. Hsu, S.-P. Tseng, C.-H. Shih, J. W. Tay, Y.-C. Hsiao, C.-C. S. Yang, and C.-C. Lin. Invasion of the little fire ant Wasmannia auropunctata (Roger, 1863) (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in Taiwan. Accepted.
- Tay, J. W. and James, D. 2021. Field demonstration of heat technology aiming to mitigate heat sinks for drywood termite (Blattodea: Kalotermitidae) management. Insects 12 (12): 1090 https://doi.org/10.3390/insects12121090 [pdf]
- Development and evaluation of a biodegradable hydrogel baits with improved water loss dynamics for control of invasive yellow crazy ants. submitted.
- Liu, K. L., S. P. Tseng, H. Tatsuta, K. Tsuji, J. W. Tay, V. Singham, C. C. Yang, and K. B. Neoh. Population genetic structure and invasion history of the globally-introduced big-headed ant in Taiwan and its invasive range wihtin the island system. Ecology and Evolution. submitted.
- Peng et al. Urbanization drives patterns in trophic position, morphology, and colony structure of invasive African big-headed ant. submitted.
- Choe, D. H.*, J. W. Tay*, K. Campbell, H. Park, L. Greenberg, and M. K. Rust. 2021. Development and demonstration of low-impact IPM strategy to control Argentine ants in urban residential settings. Journal of Economic Entomology 114: 1752-1757. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toab079 *These authors contributed equally [pdf]
- Tay, J. W., D.-H. Choe, A. Mulchandani, and M. K. Rust. 2020. Hydrogels: from controlled release to a new bait delivery for insect pest management. Journal of Economic Entomology 113: 2061-2068. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa183 [pdf]
- McCalla, K., J. W. Tay, A. Mulchandani, D.-H. Choe, and M. Hoddle. 2020. Biodegradable alginate hydrogel bait delivery system effectively controls high-density populations of Argentine ant in commercial citrus. Journal of Pest Science 93: 1031-1042. DOI: 10.1007/S10340-019-01175-9. [pdf]
- Tay, J. W., M. Hoddle, A. Mulchandani, and D.-H. Choe. 2017. Development of an alginate hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait for pest ant management. Pest Management Science 73: 2028-2038. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.4616 (Pest Management Science‘s cover image, October 2017) [pdf]
- Lee, C.-C., H. Nakao, S.-P. Tseng, H.-W. Hsu, G.-L. Lin, J. W. Tay, J. Billen, F. Ito, C.-Y. Lee, C.-C. Lin, and C.-C. Yang. 2017. Worker reproduction of the invasive yellow crazy ant Anoplolepis gracilipes. Frontiers in Zoology 14:24. DOI 10.1186/s12983-017-0210-4. [pdf]
- Tay, J. W. and C.-Y. Lee. 2015. Induced disturbances cause Monomorium pharaonis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) nest relocation. Journal of Economic Entomology 108: 1237-1242. [pdf]
- Tay, J. W. and C.-Y. Lee. 2015. Effects of a juvenile hormone analogue pyriproxyfen on monogynous and polygynous colonies of the Pharaoh ant Monomorium pharaonis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Tropical Biomedicine 32: 453-462. [pdf]
- Tay, J. W. and C.-Y. Lee. 2014. Influences of pyriproxyfen on fecundity and reproduction of the pharaoh ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 107: 1216-1223. [pdf]
- Tay, J. W., K.-B. Neoh, and C.-Y. Lee. 2014. The roles of the queen, brood and worker castes in the colony growth dynamics of the pharaoh ant,Monomorium pharaonis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Myrmecological News 20: 87-94. [pdf]
- Cheah, S.-X., J. W. Tay, L.-K. Chan, and Z. Jaal. 2013. Larvicidal, oviposition, and ovicidal effects of Artemisia annua (Asterales: Asteraceae) against Aedes aegypti, Anopheles sinensis, and Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae). Parasitology Research 112: 3275-3282. [pdf]
Extension Publications, etc.
- Jia-Wei Tay. 2022. Hawaii Building Management.
- Choe, Dong-Hwan and Jia-Wei Tay. 2021. Low-impact ant IPM. Pest Control Technology. GIE Media, Inc. p. 38-42, Vol. 49, No. 11. https://www.pctonline.com/article/low-impact-ant-ipm/
- Jia-Wei Tay and Dong-Hwan Choe. 2018. Using seaweed to deliver liquid ant baits (UC IPM information for pest management professionals and pesticide applicators). Green Bulletin 8: 1-2. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2018.spring.pdf
- Kelsey Schall, Jia-Wei Tay, Ashok Mulchandani, Dong-Hwan Choe and Mark Hoddle. 2018. Harnessing hydrogels in the battle against invasive ants: Could a hydrogel baiting system solve Argentine ant problems in southern California citrus? Citrograph 9: 30-35. http://citrusresearch.org/uncategorized/citrograph-summer-2018/
- Jia–Wei Tay, Mark Hoddle, Ashok Mulchandani and Dong-Hwan Choe. 2017. The use of an alginate hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait to manage an invasive ant pest in residential settings. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Urban Pests. Birmingham, UK. M.P. Davies, C. Pfeiffer and W.H. Robinson (eds). Pureprint Group, UK, pp. 265-269.
- Jia-Wei Tay. 2014. Sociotomy, caste influences and the effects of juvenile hormone analogue on the colonies of the Pharaoh ant, Monomorium pharaonis (L.)(Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- Ex-officio committee. State of Hawaii Pest Control Board, Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
- Hawaii Pest Control Association
- Search Committee Member. Mycology position, Department of Plant and Environment Protection Sciences.
- Student Competition Judge. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting.
- Proctor. Board Certified Entomologist Certificate Examination.
- Advisory. Kaiser High School, Termite educational project.
- Advisory. Hawaii Pacific University, Termite educational project.
- Committee. Urban Entomology Booth. Riverside Annual Insect Fair.
- UC Riverside Urban Pest Management Annual Conference.
- Manage Nan-Yao and Jill Su Entomology Scholarship.
- Member. UHM Graduate faculty.
Biodegradable hydrogel to deliver aqueous bait to control pest ants. Patent application no. 62/400,161; Publication no. US20200029555; international publications BR112019005990, CN110114092, EP3518980, WO/2018/064186.